Our relaxed and informal gardening club provides an opportunity to connect with others, learn new skills and boost your wellbeing through nature.
Spending time outdoors and within nature can benefit your physical and mental wellbeing. The positive effects can include:
- Improved mood
- Feeling more relaxed
- Being more active
- Improved physical health
- Connecting with others
- Boosting confidence and self-esteem
- Reducing feelings of stress or anger
- Reduced feelings of loneliness and isolation
Gardening group activities include:
- Planting seasonal fruits, vegetables, and flowers
- Watering and feeding plants
- Harvesting produce
- Making hanging baskets, planters, vegetable boxes and other seasonal goods
- Maintaining the allotments and gardens
- Selling produce and being involved in gardening activities
When we reviewed our outdoor and gardening services with autistic adults:
- 96% said it made them feel calmer and more relaxed
- 88% said it had made them feel happier and more cheerful
- 92% said it helped them to feel more confident being around other people
- 96% said it made them feel more positive about the future
- 96% said they had developed new skills
- 88% said it had helped them to have more confidence in their own strengths and abilities
Neurodiverse adults aged 18+ (formal diagnosis not essential)
Beginner gardeners are welcome!
You can access this service if you:
- Have a diagnosis of autism
- Are undergoing diagnosis
- Experience autistic traits and identify as autistic but without a formal diagnosis
To access this service, you must be able to work safely in a small group and whilst using tools and gardening equipment.
Support takes place at our Day Centre in Norton, Stockton on Tees, TS20 1PF.
Most activities take place outside – so you need to dress for the weather!
Currently, our gardening group runs on:
- Mondays – afternoon
- Thursdays – morning and afternoon
However, timings may vary so please enquire.
Currently we are able to offer this service free of charge but please enquire for more details.